Sriracha + Egg Breakfast Oatmeal | The Spice Girl Blog
Breakfast is what I'm talking about, and you'll be talking about this breakfast soon, too. Heart-healthy, stomach-filling, and diet-friendly: it's my new favorite way to start the day. My sister Rachel (who makes being a wife, mother, and a badass at work & in the kitchen look easy + I still think she made using the hashtag cool) made this breakfast while I was staying with her a few months ago. And since, it has changed my morning routine and consequently my days.
This is the cheap and easy variation we all need from the sugar-soaked oatmeals. Allow me to introduce you to the spicy and savory cousin of those sweet hot-cereal breakfasts.
Sriracha Oatmeal + Egg
1/2 c dry Old Fashioned Oats
1 c Water
Non-stick Spray, Olive Oil, or Butter for pan
Pinch of Coarse Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil, and add 1/2 cup oats to boiling water with a small pinch of salt.
2. Stir and reduce heat - simmering until tender - about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat pan with non-stick spray, olive oil, or butter.
4. Cook egg until whites have set and the yolk is runny. About 3 minutes.
5. Season egg with coarse salt and pepper.
6. Serve oatmeal in a bowl topped with egg and desired amount of Sriracha.
If you try this and love it, try adding a little bit of cheddar cheese with thinly sliced scallions, mushrooms & onions, or even crisp prosciutto on top. Share with your friends, and tell me sriracha talkin' about below!